MCI's 2016 Annual Report
2016 was a year that focused on media, organization and management for MaterCare International (MCI).
Project Isiolo: 2016 Review
2016 Project Milestones and Construction Updates:
- A new Field Officer was hired and has been operating in Isiolo since October
- The Merti Clinic received a new solar system that was installed in November
- Laundry and kitchen facilities were completed and are now open and operating. The aim is to also generate income from the laundry and kitchen with contracts from outside businesses.
- The on call doctors apartment is 95% complete and now need to furnish. ($3000 approx)
- Completed the workshop and storage in the basement of the laundry and kitchen. Remaining section has to be completed.
- Completed construction of the underground water tanks that will collect rainwater for use around the hospital compound, for example, the vegetable garden where the Sisters grow produce for use in the hospital, as well as to sell excess for income.
- Upgraded and completed much needed maintenance.
- Completed the security fence around the hospital compound. This will provide security for mothers, babies and staff members as well as secure expensive equipment.
For 2017 MCI will continue the next phase of construction depending on donations/grants. Construction goals include:
- Completion/equipping of the laundry and kitchen basement which will have 3 store rooms, 5 offices, and a conference hall. (approx:$45,000)
- Construct ante-natal clinic/out-patient which will include offices for doctors and nurses, outpatients, pharmacy and laboratory. (approx:$250,000)
- Construct mortuary (small) (approx: $28,000)
An appeal is needed urgently for staff salaries. In order to keep the hospital operating and staffed.
An appeal is also needed for an anaesthetic machine as soon as possible ($28,000 estimated cost).
The national doctors strike has resulted in significant increase in number of deliveries at the hospital.
Check out our full 2016 Annual Report here.